A selection of Cushman furniture advertisements
Selections from Cushman catalogs through the years
Photos of the Cushman Display House 1949
Photos of the Cushman factory and staff
Photos of Green Mountain Furniture Co., which acquired the Cushman plant in 1971
History of H.T. Cushman Manufacturing Co. (outside link)
The H.T. Cushman Manufacturing Company factory was a fixture on Water Street in the Village of North Bennington, Vermont from 1892 until its purchase by Green Mountain Furniture in 1971. Cushman's "colonial creations" were popular throughout the nation. All were designed and constructed in North Bennington.
The Cushman stone "show house" on Water Street was a prominent destination for Vermont tourists over many decades.
This page provides links (below left) to a selection of Cushman furniture catalogs and advertisements. These pages illustrate the range and depth of the Cushman line through 80 years. There are also galleries of photos made in the factory shop and company offices, and a set of showroom images from 1949.
The company's founder, Henry Theodore Cushman, commenced manufacturing in North Bennington shortly after the Civil War. His first products were corks and erasers, but the focus became furniture by the 1890s. The 1895 catalog is full of coat stands, umbrella racks and music stands. The 1920s catalog features a wide variety of "smokers" (see advertisement at left.) The 1960s catalog offers furniture in all sizes for every room in the house.
Generations of North Bennington villagers worked in the factory, and classic Cushman pieces retain pride of place in many village living rooms today.